In A Nutshell

As an ambitious 25 year old still figuring out parenting and my roll in the adult life I'm determined to get the most out of myself. Right now my main personal values are Challenge, Curiosity, Self-respect, and Belonging.

Every person has an inner voice telling them what they need, it says "wake up now" in the morning it says "don't eat that" when we're full. Growing up means learning that nobody can be that voice for you. You have to learn to hear it, and find the strength to listen over every other voice calling for your attention and telling you what you should and shouldn't be doing.

Friday, 10 May 2013

Our 4th Anniversary

Menu

  • Chicken Cordon Bleu
  • Red Baby Potatoes and Feta
  • Broccoli Soup
  • Cupcakes
  • Coffee and Pepsi

Itinerary

  • Dinner
  • Dessert and Coffee
  • Movie and Massage
  • Bath

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday evening and had to do some quick thinking when I found out at 1pm that Wade was coming home at 5:30 instead of 8:30.

I had pittered around in the morning dabbling with this and that then finally abandoned my procrastination and got Wesley and Hayleigh loaded into the car to do my running around. By the time 4:00 was rolling around I still seemed to have an insurmountable list of things yet to be done... so I just said fine, we'll have a late supper! Once the chicken was in and the potatoes where waiting their turn I felt things where under control though.

Wade came home to my cooking disaster and saw the cupcakes in the fridge
"It's just our anniversary you don't have to make a big deal about it" I thought, oh you ain't seen nothin yet.
"How about you have a bath while I finish getting supper together," I run the tub and put on candles then I went downstairs with Hayleigh strapped in her baby wrap to madly scribble together the stationary and put on my face and some jewelry. He didn't head for the bath and watched some TV on the computer.
"What are you doing down there?"
"Just sorting my craft supplies!"
A while later, "are you coming upstairs?"
"In a little bit."
I hear him muttering to himself "fine I'll just stay up here all by myself." aw poor guy thinks I'm ignoring him on our anniversary, probably that I'm grumpy at him, maybe he's not giving it a second thought?


The stationary, I also put some foot hand and body lotions in the basket
Finally I reemerge from the basement and he's a bit grumpy I tell him, "Suppers going to be a while go have a bath" I have to get him out of the main room so I can prepare it... I close the door behind him
"Hey why are you closing the door?"
"It's a surprise"

First I hang the star backdrop rush around up and down the stairs all the while Hayleigh fortunately napping away in her wrap. As the finishing touch I warmed up some pyjama pants and a shirt in the dryer and brought the stationary basket and left them in the bathroom for him to check out. I put Hayleigh on the couch and get into a nice tank top, "you can come out now." I'm feeling a bit nervous, I've made the place look lovely, I look great, but now I'm in charge of the evening and need to own it.


I had hoped Wade would walk in to the evening all put together and ready like this instead of the shoo to the bath option I had to improvised


Hmm what do I do from here. I stand over by the table waiting for him to come out but haven't heard the jets turn off yet... "Hey come on out, supper is ready!"

When he comes out he looks a little quizzical I haven't done something like this, ever. I've done smaller things in our first year and less in our second, but nothing this big. "here's your seat" I gesture to his chair and sit down. we talk a bit, a little awkwardly at first. And Hayleigh of course wasn't going to be content on the couch for the whole evening so when she started fussing I brought her over to sit on my lap, she's still a bit young to send for an overnighter with grandma and grandpa.




The anniversary movie options we considered where:
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • Meet Joe Black
  • Stranger Than Fiction
  • The Illusionist
  • Wall-E
  • Men of Honor

We settled on "Men of Honor" for a movie, Hayleigh eventually fell asleep, and we had a great evening. Pulling this off was a real confidence booster, I think I can continue to be adventurous ;D

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis